Please note: "Next blog" button will load a random, non-LLL blog. Click at your own risk.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Flying in..

Well, I just booked a flight from Albany to DC! Always a little nerve wracking, since it seems so permanent - I doublechecked the dates, but ultimately ended up scheduling the wrong departure time. After quite a bit of screeching (to my unfortunate mother - unfortunate that she had to listen to me) I was able to change the time at no extra cost. This will be my baby's first plane ride... I'm nervous, but at least it's a short flight - only an hour and 10 mins - plus, she'll be able to sit on my lap and nurse. I've heard that it's good to nurse during takeoff and landing because it helps the baby's ears adjust to the pressure difference.
I'm really excited... can't believe I'm going to a conference as a mommy instead of as a kid or a teen helper! lol. It should be a lot of fun.. I already bought a couple new things to wear, just for fun.

I'm going to my first local LLL meeting tomorrow morning - we're finally moved in to our new apt..

4 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

Chana,
How was the meeting???

I was spazing when I ordered mine ticket on line! When I finished and pushed send the date and time came up in a different format, so i thought the time was changed... my dh thought I was nuts shreiking at the computer... ;-)

Gail

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Sandee said...

Chana,
Don't over stress about the flight.
Tips I have from lots of plane trips with babies:
Pre-board and stash your stuff then you and the baby GET OFF the plane until the final boarding call--the longer you sit on a non-moving plane the greater the chance the baby will not be happy. I have never had a flight attendent not understand why I am leaving.

Dress the baby cute, and bring a cute stuffed toy for her to carry--fellow passengers love cute babies and will be more helpful.

NURSE during take off and landing and any other time.

Bring a change of clothes for the baby and an emergency t-shirt for yourself. Remember if you don't have it, you will need it.

Do NOT bring anything to read "while the baby sleeps" it will garentee that the baby won't. If all you have is the in-flight magazine and shopping catalog, the baby WILL sleep.

(disclaimer, not an LLL approved suggestion) bring a tootsie pop or other lollypop as the "absolutely last resort, I have tried everything and the baby won't stop crying" emergency tool in your carry on. Even if (and especially) if your baby has never had candy, in case of emergency a lollypop will buy you 15 mins of sticky quiet. Somehow just knowing it is there helps calm you down.

Sandee whose "handy travel-sized" LLL baby is now 10 so will be staying home with dad

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Jennifer said...

The conference is only a couple days away! We are very excited to read all about your conference experience! Remember, as a conference blogger, you will have priority access to use the computers in the Tech Room any time you want to post. I've sent you an email with details -- if you haven't received it, please contact me. See you in DC!

9:46 AM

 
Anonymous Connie Davis said...

Chana, hello from Kansas. I will be attending the conference vicariously through you. I hope you have a great time and even get a nap or two with your baby so you can keep on going strong.
I liked the suggestions for flying with a nursing baby. It's the best time to fly with a child, I think! Let us know how it went.
My experience with flying with a baby is that on take-off or landing, I could hear all the babies crying on the plane except mine and she was very serious about her nursing.

8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home